Billy Goat Industries, Inc. – Lee’s Summit
It was a daunting to-do list.
- “Explore effective distribution/dealer support in Europe; connect Billy Goat with local international trade resources
- “How to build a franchise distribution model as an alternate market strategy for new products? Research franchise models including best practices, associations, trade shows, publications
- “Where is there a market for new products? Who could be likely franchisees within these markets?
- “Perform North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)-based market research to determine best markets and potential franchisees
- “Conduct keyword analysis for gutter cleaning and covering. Identify concentrations by time of month and geographic area”
“We spent more than $20,000 of our own money on primary research for a contemplated new product,” says Will Coates, president and CEO of Billy Goat Industries, a premier manufacturer of outdoor power equipment such as mowers, vacuums and brush cutters used in debris management.
“Ultimately we decided not to proceed right away because of too much uncertainty and risk. We didn’t feel our current channels of distribution were appropriate.” But after working with the BGS team, the above to-do list was developed, and answers starting rolling in. The team clarified projections and identified markets and strategies, including potential franchising, a big step for any business and something in which Coates admits he has no experience.
“They provided the entire go-to-market model,” Coates says. “I do believe the program can provide small-to-medium businesses the resources they might not otherwise have available to help them flush out opportunities.
“The action items and deliverables we agreed upon met our expectations and more. The team helped us to fill in the gaps and see the next business opportunity.”
If you liked this post you might also like: