Business requirements to submit an SBIR/STTR proposal
- Check availability of your proposed business name using the Secretary of State’s database online at: sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/csearch.asp. This process checks to make sure no other company in Missouri is using your proposed name.
- Select a legal structure for your company. Each has unique registration requirements:
Sole Proprietorship and Partnerships — file “Fictitious Name Registration”
Corporations and LLC — file articles of incorporation or articles or organization (LLC) www.sos.mo.gov/business/corporations/forms.asp
S-corporation status — requires that you form your Missouri corporation or LLC and also file IRS Form 2553 irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2553.pdf
- Register a company name with the Missouri Secretary of State sos.mo.gov.
During the SBIR/STTR application process you only need to register your business name and file legal structure with the Secretary of State (LLC form online — filing fee is $105) This process reserves your business name. You can use your home address to register.
You will need to have a business address, the place where you plan to do the work, before an award is received.
Business requirements after notice of SBIR/STRR funding
- Obtain local business license at city or county government
- Get a sales tax number if you will be selling retail
- Federal Employer I. D. Number (EIN) required when you have business partners, hire employees, form a corporation or an LLC taxed as a corporation. Your bank may require an EIN to open a business account. To get form SS-4 go to irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss4.pdf
If you liked this post you might also like: