How to complete the System for Award Management (SAM) registration
A key prerequisite when selling to the federal government is to get registered in the System for Award Management (SAM). MO PTAC counselors are finding that large prime contractors are also starting to require that a business be registered in SAM prior to doing business with that prime.
Beware of entities that charge a fee to help with your SAM registration. SAM registration is free and your PTAC counselor can help.
Below are step-by-step instructions on how to complete the SAM registration.
If assistance is needed at any time, please contact your local MO PTAC counselor.
How to register in SAM
(System for Award Management)
What is SAM?
- The System for Award Management (SAM) is the official U.S. government vendor registration system.
- SAM is a free registration, valid for one year.
Before you begin …
- Do you have a DUNS Number? If not, register online for a free DUNS at fedgov.dnb.com/webform
– Request your DUNS via the web
– Select “Country > Continue”
– Select “Continue to Government iUpdate”
– “Find DUNS” or “Request new DUNS > Start Now”
– Follow the prompts to complete the registration
- If you already have a DUNS, is your company information correct?
- Do you have a TIN/EIN number for your business? Only sole proprietors can use a social security number for this registration. To get a TIN/EIN, apply online at the IRS webpage: irs.gov/businesses/small-business-and-self-employed-tax-center
- Look through the screen prints following below to note other information you will need for your registration.
SAM registration tips
- Browser choice is important. If you are having difficulty with one web browser, try another.
- Move through page by page. (Do not skip around sections.)
- Complete all sections completely and accurately. (SAM information feeds into other federal systems.)
- If you do not complete your registration in one session, your partial registration will be saved. This will be found in the “Incomplete Registrations” under My SAM.
- Record your user name/password for future updates.
- If you were previously registered in CCR (registration system before SAM) you will need to migrate your CCR record over to SAM before you can update your record.
- If you need assistance, a help desk number is listed on SAM.gov. Another free resource available to you is the PTAC (Procurement Technical Assistance Center) organization. To locate a PTAC near you, go to aptac-us.org and choose the state where your business is located.
Step 1: Create user account
For new users, you must first create a personal user account.
- “Create User Account” at sam.gov/portal/SAM/##11 and select “Individual Account.”Complete two pages of personal information.
- Once your information is submitted, you will receive an email. Follow the directions in the email to activate your user name/password.
2: Register entity (company)
- Log in with new user name/password
- “Register/Update Entity”
- “Register New Entity”
3: Determine purpose of registration
- Use drop downs to select correct answers. Choose “Yes” to bidding on contracts.
- Next/”Confirm Purpose”
4. Core Data — DUNS Information
- Enter information exactly how D&B has your company listed, including punctuation and spaces. Information entered in SAM will electronically match with D&B. If not an exact match, an error message will be received.
Verify DUNS Information
- The address information you entered is compared to the information returned from D&B. This must be an exact match.
- “Save and Confirm” (Note: if you have an address change after registering, DUNS must be updated first, then enter new address and select “Refresh D&B Data” in SAM.)
- Enter Business Information
- Create MPIN password and record in a safe place.
- Enter your business information exactly how it is listed with the IRS. This information is matched electronically, so if an email is received from SAM that your entity (business) has failed IRS matching, you will be required to go back into your registration and correct this page.
- Sign with your MPIN > “Save and Continue”
- As a new user, you most likely do not have a CAGE code. Answer “No” to this question. A CAGE code will be assigned to you. This could take up to a week and your SAM profile will not be active until the CAGE is assigned.
- “Save and Continue”
Core Data — Immediate Owner
- Immediate Owner is defined as an entity other than the offeror, that has direct control of the offeror. Indicators of control include, but are not limited to, one or more of the following: ownership or interlocking management, identity of interests among family members, shared facilities and equipment and the common use of employees.
- Fill out required fields, and select any socioeconomic categories that apply to the majority owner of your business.
General information, continued
- Complete banking information. ACH phone number is the phone number to your bank. Type as (xxx)xxx-xxxx.
- “Save and Continue”
- Answer question regarding compensation
- “Save and Continue”
- Answer questions
- “Save and Continue”
- If you want the public (including a prime contractor) to be able to view your SAM information, check Yes. Confidential information such as your banking page will not be viewable. Please note: you will receive phone calls and emails from companies marketing their services for a fee. Paying fees for services is not required to sell to government or prime contractors.
5. Assertions – goods and services
- Enter your industry codes (NAICS) and mark one as primary. To find NAICS, type in keywords in the 2012 search field at census.gov/eos/www/naics.
Goods and services
- Entering PSC codes is optional. The codes can be found at (select category to left to open up list): support.outreachsystems.com/resources/tables/pscs
- Enter average three-year sales and average number of employees for 12 months. This data combined with your selected NAICS determines your size status, i.e., small business.
- If your company is available to work on disaster relief projects, answer “yes” and fill out the remaining information.
6. Reps and Certs (FAR Responses)
- Represent and Certify company information by answering 27 questions. The FAR links are referenced for further information on each question.
- If you want to bid on DOD contracts, choose “Yes” and answer questions 29 through 35.
7. Points of contact
- This section includes both mandatory POCs and Optional POCs. Note “Copy” button for faster data entry.
Points of contact — optional
8. SBA supplemental page
- SBA profile is a database of small businesses. Registration is required for SBA 8(a) and HUBZone certifications. Otherwise this page is optional, but recommended for all small businesses. Company information will be publically viewable at dsbs.sba.gov/dsbs/search/dsp_dsbs.cfm
- When registering, it’s important to include a short capabilities narrative and keywords for optimal search capability.
- Once your SAM registration is submitted, it may take up to a week before your registration is active. You will receive emails from SAM stating the progress of your registration.
- The SAM registration is good for one year. If you update any time before the one year date, the year starts over. You will receive notice from SAM when your registration is expiring.
- To update or renew a registration:
– Log in with user name and password (password may need to be reset if expired)
– Go to “Register/Update Entity”
– Select “Complete Registrations”
– Click on “Company Name” in left block (which moves it to the right block)
– Move through each page, making any necessary changes, until the final submit.
For further assistance, please contact your local procurement specialist.
If you liked this post you might also like: